The world of online shopping has traversed towards the future, thanks to smarter, more agile, efficient and technologically advanced mobile devices. Shoppers are relying upon their tablet computers and smartphones more than ever before to find and buy the things that they want. Feeding this shopping frenzy are the mobile coupon statistics, which help us understand just how effective a marketing tool digital coupons can be.
The mobile coupon statistics chart below, courtesy of Statistica, demonstrates the surge and growth of mobile coupon users. A windfall of gains is seen from years 2012-2014, with ample gains projected for the years 2015-2016, telling of the popularity of redeemable digital deals.
Most Mobile Users Will Search for a Digital Coupon
According to Mobile Commerce Daily, nearly all mobile users will search for a digital coupon in 2015. Citing a recent survey, the report predicts that about 96% of all mobile users will search for coupons this year to find the best deal and the greatest value when shopping online.
An eMarketer report about online coupon statistics found similar numbers for 2014, predicting that over 70% of mobile users would rely upon mobile coupons to find the best deal for last year. Comparing these mobile coupon statistics side-by-side, we see a healthy 26% gain between 2014 and 2015.
If you take a look back at 2013, one can get a better idea of how 2015 will shape up for the digital coupon industry. An Internet Retailer report found that 66 million digital coupons were redeemed by U.S. shoppers in 2013, with about 2.3% of the estimated 2.9 billion coupons generated (digital and print) being redeemed by consumers overall for that year.
Emails with Digital Coupons Get Strong Responses
As more and more marketers rely upon digital coupons to attract new sales and to encourage stronger conversions, one should not leave out email marketing, either. According to Experian’s QA Email Benchmark report (2013), emails that contain a value-added offer and coupon enjoy a
- Open rate of more than 14%;
- An increase in unique clicks of 34%;
- A transaction completion rate increase of 27%;
- An impressive 48% increase in revenue per email sent (when compared to other types of email marketing).
Effective Methods of Coupon Marketing
So how can you take advantage of these digital coupon statistics when marketing for your online store? For starters, current coupon redemption statistics show that people want to receive digital coupons from your online store. A study by Inmar found that 70% of consumers want coupons for the products they buy the most, and they want you to send coupons to them, too.
Another Inmar study found that there are five common ways that people will search for digital coupons before making a purchase, as part of the emerging mobile couponing trends. Make sure you are making your coupons visible in order for them to get found via: popular coupon websites, brand websites, social media, search engines and retailer websites to make these coupon industry statistics work in your favor.
To make your mobile coupons more visible, use these tips:
- Write a blog about your coupons and share them on your social networks.
- Use social coupon sharing plugins for your online store to reward users for both sharing and redeeming a coupon.
- Issue frequent press releases that announce that you have special coupons available.
- Post coupons to all of the free coupon websites that you can find regularly.
- Include digital coupons in your newsletter near the top, where they can be easily redeemed.
- Feature coupons as a pop-up at the time of checkout.
- Feature coupons as a banner on your website for all visitors to see.
- Use retargeting with coupons to attract abandoners back to your website.
- Market your coupons on sites like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and Polyvore.
- Use PPC advertising to spread the word about your coupons to attract targeted traffic back to your online store.
Mobile Coupon Statistics 2015
To better help you understand the impact and effectiveness of mobile coupon usage, take a look at this infographic. It culls expert data from authority sources from around the internet, helping you to visualize how much of an impact something as simple as coupons have made upon the ecommerce industry as a whole and why these coupon marketing statistics are an important factor to your bottom line..